Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Think smaller, think more legs.


On the radio today I heard a McDonald's commercial for the McRib. Apparently, they have decided to do away with it forever. The ad says it's been around since the mid-80's and has a huge cult following, and mentions the website mcrib.com. It's supposed to be a farewell tour.


From the look of the website, the execs at McDonalds must have seen the Simpons episode making fun of Krusty's "ribwich", which had to be discontinued because the unnamed animal it came from became extinct ("think smaller, think more legs"). As for the real McRib, the new campaign actually goes so far as to introduce a fantasy animal, the boneless pig.

What really makes me sick about this campaign, is that it works. Yeah, it works even on me. Damn McDonalds. I hate the place, but they are everywhere, their food is cheap, and for the most part, edible. And now that you can get fairly healthy food there, and they are using an ad campaign that basically says "our food is freakin' scary" (like the McGriddle and McRib campaigns), you've got to give some credit to the execs at McDonalds. If I had that hell job, I don't think I could do it any better. I want a McRib now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home