Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Comparing Manwich and DSL

In Greensboro, NC there are primarily 2 choices for broadband service providers. DSL with Bellsouth or Cable with Time Warner. I have had cable for a long time now.

I really hate Bellsouth DSL. From my experience, it's a pain to install (filters, etc), slow (compared to cable), and unreliable (especially true if you are cursed with a @bellsouth.net email address).

HOWEVER, I have been known to put up with unpleasantries like sitting in coach or buying store brand Manwich. So when the bellsouth telemarketer called last night, I didn't hang up immediately. In fact, the longer I stayed on the line expressing how much I don't like DSL, the better the deal they were willing to give me. He didn't even bother with the typical DSL sales soundbites like "you'll have a direct connection to the office, as opposed to sharing bandwidth like cable" because I shot that retarded stuff down early. Nope, this guy went straight for the wallet... he knew I already had the real Manwich... the only way I was going to go with the nasty tasting generic stuff is if it was a LOT cheaper.

Long story short, Bellsouth must be desperate. They offered me $150 visa check card, a free modem, a reduced monthly price, and no contract. Duh. Who in their right mind would turn that down. I might keep 2 ISP for a few months and still come out ahead. Or if I keep it for 6 months, they'll send me an additional $75 check card. Wow. Good business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home